Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Day 62- My Love For Nurses

I love nurses. Nursing is one of the most under appreciated positions around. I just finished a marathon of Nurse Jackie and it got me thinking about my own experiences in and out of the hospital for so many years.
I loved my cardiologist. Loved, loved, loved. He was an amazing doctor and a kind man. But let me tell you, on the day of my surgeries, I didn't even really see him at all because I was knocked out before he got to me. You know who I did see? Nurses.
For my first surgery I went in and had a newbie nurse who botched my IV and had no bedside manner. Luckily, the surgery before me ran way late and they had to send me home and reschedule me. When I went back a month later, I was shell shocked and terrified. But luckily I had a good nurse who numbed me and put in my IV flawlessly. She was sweet and reminded me of my grandma. When I woke up, I found out that they hadn't been able to fix me and also that I had flatlined and I was shocked and scared and crying.  She fed me broth and rubbed my forehead and I started crying even more because she was so kind and familiar.
When I went back for my second surgery, I actually scheduled it on a day that she was working so that I could have her again. It was 2 days before Christmas and as I walked into the pre op room, there was a little gift waiting on my bed. It was a little heart shaped ring box and a heart shaped picture holder-- and a note that welcomed me back. Again, I cried. I couldn't believe that someone could be so kind and compassionate and make me feel so comfortable when I was so scared.
Through the years I have had many nurses-- good, bad, and straight up terrible. Some of them I remember, some of them I don't. But the one nurse that will always have a special place in my heart (pun intended) is my surgical nurse. She really made an otherwise horrible and scary experience bearable.
Nurses fill so many roles. They are caretakers, they are medical professionals, they care caregivers, and for me, they are the people that can make or break my anxiety when things are going bad. Next time you are at your doctors office... thank your nurse. You may only see your nurse for a few moments, but just remember that they are doing really crucial
things too. Your nurse is basically your doctors wing man. That is important stuff.
To all of you nurses out there... I salute you. Thank you for the time, the patience, and the care that you give us.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you for saluting us! There have been days, when I've questioned my career choice, but there is always that one patient that reminds us why we do what we do. I'm glad one of my fellow nurses left such an impression on your heart. Getting really nervous and excited to do the photoshoot with you, in 3 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nurses do a great job! Thank you for doing it :)

      Delete
  2. Last month they took my tonsils out in a little hospital where the nurses (except of one) were really impolite. The doctor sent me home but after only one day I spat blood and the medical rescue service took me to another hospital (the best one around).
    At this hospital I had a nurse who was like an aunt to me. When I felt really sick she told me: "You have to eat! Your body needs it to heal your wounds, you have to eat!"
    An hour later I spat blood again but this time it came out of a atery. She ran out and grabbed the arm of a doctor who just came out of a restroom and dragged him into my room. He instantly said that I had to get a surgery to stop the bleeding. On our way to the operating room she stayed by my side to calm me down all the time. The next day she told me the story because I couldn't remember much of it because of the anesthesia. I realized how worried she had been and I love her for that. And also I love her for treating me like a niece or a granddaughter. In german we have two words for "you": people we don't know we call "Sie" and people like friends or family we call "du". I was the only one the nurse called "du" from the first second.
    When I'm completely fit again I will bake a giant bowl of cookies and take it to the hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry,

    This made me feel warm and get a bit misty eyed as my mom is a nurse. She has had patients whom she let the doctor have it for not giving the patients what they need. She says nurses are advocates for patients and their family. It warms me hearing stories like yours and those I've heard involving my mom.

    My family and I have had our share of time with nurses due to my many surgeries and my mom's battle with cancer. Not all have been good times, and it's made us so grateful for the good. Nurses are our lifelines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherry, I could not agree with you more. Back in 2012, I had a total colectomy, and while that process normally entails 2 operations, about 6-8 weeks apart. Because of several complications (which I won't go into detail about here), I ended up having 5 surgeries, and one extra hospital stay to treat an infection. As you can imagine, I saw my fair share of nurses.

    Overwhelmingly, these people were so kind, nurturing, compassionate, and loving. I got the best care I could have imagined. And while like you, I love my surgeon, it was the nurses who were with me, day in, day out, attending to all my needs. I would often chat with the nurses and when they found out that I'm a high school teacher, many expressed shock. "Wow! I could never do what you do!" My response to them was, "I could never do what YOU do!" Teaching is a breeze compared to nursing.

    There was one nurse in particular who I will never forget. The first time I attempted eating solid food after my first surgery did not go well. A couple minutes after eating I found myself in the most incredible pain I've ever experienced in my life. It was terrifying. I hit my call button and in seconds, Nurse Ruby was there. Immediately, she could see I was in a lot of pain. "What level?" she asked. "10!", I screamed. She put some strooooong pain killers in through my IV and then stayed with me. Holding my hand, rubbing my forehead, and talking me through some calming breathing techniques. She stayed with me until she was sure I was alright and all the pain and fear subsided. I am so grateful to her for being with me in that moment and treating me with so much love.

    A couple of weeks ago, I was visiting my aunt in the hospital who had just undergone a double hip replacement. As I was chatting with my aunt, who walked in to check on her? You guessed it...nurse Ruby. "I don't know if you remember me", I began, and I told her the whole story. Her face lit up and she said she did remember me. Who knows if she did? Really, it doesn't matter. She told me she was so happy to see me healthy and doing well and then came over and gave me a huge hug. I am so happy that I was able to express to her my gratitude and how much she meant to me. I teared up when I told her and I'm tearing up again as I type this.

    So thank you again to nurse Ruby, and thank you to ALL nurses for everything you do for your patients. You mean more to us than we could ever fully express.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please be nice and kind with your words even if you have something to criticize. I am trying to answer to as many questions as possible but please have some understanding that I cannot answer to all of you. XOXO