Monday, February 15, 2016

Day 46- Oh Valentine's Day

Sorry for the weekend hiatus. I needed some me time.
Yes, yesterday was Valentine's Day. And as much as I WANT to love it, I just don't. I just can't.
Growing up, I loved VD (sorry-- I am too lazy to keep typing it and the acronym makes me giggle). I loved crafting Valentines and picking the right candies for the right people. I loved opening my little Valentines box and dissecting every last one. I loved coming home and seeing the little display my mom had set up for me and my brother with balloons and candy. I loved the aesthetic. Hearts and teddy bears and pink and red. I loved it all.
As I got older, I realized that VD for adults is much different. It becomes stressful and anxiety causing. If you are in a new relationship, you agonize over what to get the other person that will be sweet, but not too over the top. And then you hope that they didn't get you something super extravagant that makes you look like an asshole. If you are in a long term relationship, you feel like each year you have to prove yourself more. And people start expecting rings. There are also those broads that measure their mans love by the gifts she gets for VD. Men everywhere are sweating bullets trying to prepare a night that is supposed to express their feelings through chocolates and dinner and giant stuffed things.
I know that VD is still special for a lot of people-- mostly females. I honestly don't know a man alive that gives a crap about VD. And even if he cares to make it special for his lady-- he still could live without it. But I get it... Something about this day makes people feel all schmoopy.
I honestly feel like it is a forced holiday. When I feel like showing my husband that I care, I show him. And he does the same. He brings me flowers when I am sad, or when the weather changes. He leaves me little love notes when he leaves for tour or when I get home. He gives me kisses and sweet words every day just because. And those little things mean to much more to me than a bunch of crap bought at the supermarket on a day that the world tells you to prove your love.
Maybe I am just a cynical jerk face. Those of you that cherish it can keep it. But the last 7 years I have been VD free and I am loving it.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! It's not a big thing in my country but I don't really get it. I think a personal celebration like anniversaries is much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! We went for dinner and a movie this week and everyone assumed it was early VD celebrations.
    Nope.
    Movie we had waited to see was just released and we didn't have time to go home and cook dinner. It hasn't meant anything more then a joke day for us. My loving other half gets me the biggest potato he can every year. Not other reason then 'I refuse commercial crap, and I know you like potato'
    He's so funny/sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your view of VD (hahaha!) makes a ton of sense. I personally like to make a big deal out of every possible holiday, but for me, that means making a big meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only use it as an excuse to cook a fun meal at home...but we go all out on a decadent home cooked meal once a week. I don't need the stress of a superficial holiday. I totally agree with how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The presser to do something big and fancy sometimes is just too much! This Valentines with my husband was one of my favorites. We went out for breakfast, and then pretty much spent the whole day playing video games and snacking on chocolate. It was a nice excuse to just relax and enjoy each other <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please be nice and kind with your words even if you have something to criticize. I am trying to answer to as many questions as possible but please have some understanding that I cannot answer to all of you. XOXO