Monday, January 11, 2016

Day 11- RIP Bowie

Today is a sad, sad day. A lot of celebrities have passed in the last few years, and a lot of them make me feel sad, but none have hit me like this one.
If you grew up in the 80s-- David Bowie was an integral part of your childhood. Jareth the Goblin King was one of my first loves. As a child, watching David Bowie in the Labrynth made cross dressing seem normal. It was the first boundary that he broke down in my life.
As a teenager, I felt weird in my skin. I felt like I didn't belong and that no one understood me. But Bowie understood. He sang about the things that mattered. He wore the clothes that no one else dared. He opened doors for all of the freaks and weirdos in the world to be able to be themselves and feel ok. He also gave us all a common thread-- his music. I can't tell you how many times I have talked about David Bowie's music in my life-- or made a friend because we both just "got it".
I can't think of another celebrity that has left such a legacy in my life. I am truly sad today that such a genius is gone.
XOXO

5 comments:

  1. A true legend and musical genius :( he'll forever be my goblin king! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed~~discovered Bowie when I was 10 and to this day loved every moment he gave me. My heart is breaking today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same. I woke up this morning thinking it was a sick joke, but finding out that it wasn't...it's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on vacations, not listening to news or anything but I heard this D: I'm so sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on vacations, not listening to news or anything but I heard this D: I'm so sad

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! Please be nice and kind with your words even if you have something to criticize. I am trying to answer to as many questions as possible but please have some understanding that I cannot answer to all of you. XOXO